Of the 10 teachers named finalists for Teacher of the Year in Indiana, two are from Marion County, including a teacher already honored twice this year.
A statement from state Superintendent Glenda Ritz said the winner will be announced in October.
“As a life-long educator, I have always been impressed by the work the teachers do throughout Indiana day after day,” Ritz said. “These teachers have demonstrated their dedication to their craft and their students and I am honored to name them as finalists for Indiana Teacher of the Year.”
The 2015 finalists are:
- Tina Ahlgren, math, Shortridge Magnet High School for Law and Public Policy, Indianapolis Public Schools
- Jennifer Query, Gifted, Lawrence Central High School, Lawrence Township Schools
- Gail Alexander, English Heritage High School, East Allen Schools
- Dawn Boling, math Highland Hills Middle School, New Albany Schools
- Peter De Kever, English, Penn High School, Penn-Harris-Madison Schools
- Carol Draeger Thomas, English, Rise Up Academy, South Bend School Corporation
- Matthew Ehresman, Social Studies, Center Grove Middle School Central, Center Grove Schools
- Audrey Fetters, Kindergarten, Flint Springs Elementary, Huntington County Schools
- Kathy Nimmer, English, William Henry Harrison High School, Tippecanoe Schools
- Roger Tyler, Choir and Piano, Connersville High School, Fayette County Schools
Ahlgren has already won two huge teaching honors this year. She was named IPS teacher of the year in June and a month earlier was one of four teachers awarded $25,000 as part of the inaugural Hubbard Life-Changing Teacher Awards.