Indianapolis Public Schools has identified dozens of principals, deans and other administrators who could lose their jobs at the end of the year, many because of the decision to close high schools.
As the district pursues plans to close three of its seven high schools, the superintendent recommended that the board cancel the contracts of 29 administrators effective July 1.
The list of administrators includes two high school principals and several assistant principals and deans whose contracts could be canceled because of the high school closing plan. Several high school athletic directors could also have their contracts canceled because the district is changing the job description and requirements for those positions, according to IPS spokesperson Carrie Cline Black.
They were all invited to apply to other open positions in the district, but the district is canceling their contracts because state law requires districts to notify certain administrators by March 1 if their contracts will not be renewed, according to Black.
The recommendation, which is included in the district’s monthly personnel report, is not entirely surprising, since the district anticipated having fewer administrators once it consolidates campuses. But the district had not previously revealed which staff members could lose their positions.
This is just the latest sign of the upheaval caused by the high school closings. Hundreds of high school teachers were required to reapply for their jobs, and students were required to select new high school programs for next year.
Here is the full list of staffers the superintendent recommended canceling contracts for:
Arlington High School
- Debra Barlowe, dean
- Arthur Dumas, dean
- David Tuttle, assistant principal
- Debra Ward, assistant principal
- Danny Wilson, athletic director
Arsenal Technical High School
- Anne Deckard, dean
- Sheldon Floyd, assistant principal
- Steven Glenn, dean
- Thomas Starnes, athletic director
- Roslyn Stradford, assistant principal
- Lisa Williams, dean
Broad Ripple High School
- John Edge, assistant principal
- Robert Moses, interim assistant principal
- Rachel Norwood, magnet coordinator
- Vickie Winslow, dean
Crispus Attucks High School
- Joshua Varno, athletic director
George Washington High School
- Emily Butler, principal
- Zachary Ervin, dean
- Patrick Kennison, assistant principal
- Kenneth Roseman, athletic director
- Charonda Woods, assistant principal
Northwest Community High School
- Moshfilay Anderson, athletic director
- Eileen Bell, assistant principal
- Michelle Brittain-Watts, principal
- Martha Lince, dean
- Alan Smith, assistant principal
- Albert Young, dean
Positive Supports Academy
- Kevin Brown, dean
Shortridge High School
- Kathy Langdon, athletic director
Correction: January 23, 2018: This story has been corrected to show that Kenneth Roseman is the athletic director at George Washington High School. The district personnel report incorrectly identified him as athletic director at Crispus Attucks.